Congrats! Post some pics!
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system

drocter

Re: Cayenne Turbo awaiting LPG

Postby drocter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:53 am

Mixed feelings here I'm afraid - glad that your Turbo is LPGd and doing well, I did not fare so well.

The chap from Martin Motors got cold feet over converting my Cayenne Turbo after speaking with Prins (Alternatech) who apparently advised him that the car does not convert well. He told me that all previous such conversions resulted in premature cylinder wear even if when using Flashlube. Other converters in my area seemed unfamiliar with this kind of power.

Given that I'd spent thousands buying the car on the advice it 'was definately convert-able', I was a little annoyed. With my current daily commute at a little over 200 miles, it's fair to say the Cayenne did not fair so well. Even the gentlest motorway journey could not bring more that 21mpg and it frequently averaged 14mpg.

Sold the car four months on in the depth of the petrol price hike at a considerable loss.

Am still considering a 645Ci for conversion once I've accounted for the thousands lost on the Cayenne - my wife is understandably more than a little sceptical though.

GialloEvoII
LPG System: none

Postby GialloEvoII » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:27 am

Interesting read, I was looking to purchase a Cayenne Turbo.I was also considering the RangeRover Sport supercharged,Maybe it is the case for the RR also.To much power for LPG

r9 turbo
LPG System: prins

Postby r9 turbo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Sorry to hear of your trouble with the Cayenne. I think that sometimes these installers just instantly say “o yes, no problem, its do’able” until they actually look under the bonnet and see what a pig of a job it actually can be. Then they seem to use the excuse that Prins or whoever have had valve problems, they save face and sound like they have your best interest at heart.
I must say before I went gas I looked all over to find someone who had a Cayenne turbo with gas so I could talk and find out what was what. I did not want to be the guinea pig but I guess someone has to be.
I have spoken to lots of people with 4.5S with gas who have no probs at all; I can’t see why Porsche would fit softer valves in the more powerful Turbo? I do know the VW 3.2 engine cayenne does suffer.
You also mentioned that your installer said that Alternatech (prins) said that they had experienced the problem even when FLASHLUBE was fitted. That is a strange comment from a distributor and now installer who knows you can’t use flashlube on a turbo engine,
That’s why prins have there own pumped valve saver system sold by Alternatech.
On the occasions I have spoken to Alternatech technical man he has never mentioned any probs with the Cayenne turbo. They even feature one on there website gallery none by a German dealer I believe.
Anyway just as an example when I was just thinking about going gas I contacted The Greenfuel co in Bath who is supposed to be UK leaders? They had a turbo in for gas at the time and said it was IMPOSSIBLE to do! My installer Gas4cars said “nothing is impossible, it just takes a little longer”.
I hope I don’t live to regret my confidence and have to eat my words

Regards
R9 turbo

twinturbo
LPG System: prins

Postby twinturbo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 am

Oh my...you went to Gas4cars. that Stuart is an animal, sorry you though Mr Sparrow was bad!

And the white haired bloke who works for him is even worse. really. I have photos!

Take heed.

Ta

mak-uk
LPG System: Prins VSI
Car: BMW 540iA Sport

Postby mak-uk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:08 am

twinturbo wrote:Oh my...you went to Gas4cars. that Stuart is an animal, sorry you though Mr Sparrow was bad!

And the white haired bloke who works for him is even worse. really. I have photos!

Take heed.

Ta

Be interested to hear more!
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system

SebastianS
LPG System: STAG 300

Postby SebastianS » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:38 am

Hello, folks,

I'm glad to inform, that we've converted Cayenne turbo S with 500HP engine, and car runs on gas on every engine's condition - from idle to WOT. All mixture ratio figures seem to be practically identical, as on gasoline, power went down a little (appr. 12HP, what gives only 2% power lost). Fuel consumption indicates about 20-25% bigger figures, than on gasoline. But most important is, that we're fully succeed with LPG temperature - finding a proper amount of energy to warm up the gas is the most terrible technical problem to overcome in this car. Solving it in our first cayenne took c.a three weeks of calculating, measuring, datalogging, using eight temperature sensors, water flow indicator.

I'm pretty sure, that conversion of cayenne turbo or turboS with two Prins vaporisers will bring negative effect for it's thermal efficiency. That's not a proper way, much more effective vaporisers are needed.

All cayenne turbo owner are welcomed :-)
And here - how that car runs on LPG, during fine tuning on Polish A4 highway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY4noMSbEfg

Regards to everyone :-)

Return to “General Discussion”