Poor quality insulation

The main forum
topbanana0

Poor quality insulation

Post by topbanana0 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:20 am

Hi, I had a conversion on my Clio recently, and it was running ok although the fuel economy was poor and it idle’s erratically.
Over the last few weeks or so the revs have been reluctant to drop and some times sticking around 2000rpm. This happens on gas and petrol. Then it started to put on engine management warning lights, the most common one a curly one like a diesel glow plug light. This would hold the revs at 2000rpm even if you put your foot down, and would clear if you turned the car off and on.
Spoke to my mechanic (Renault trained) and he thought it could be a sticking throttle, can be common on this car apparently, but he also noticed an air leak noise? Which seamed to come from the place where the converter had drilled a hole in the throttle housing, but it was very slight and we couldn’t quite find it so were unsure.
Few days late I had a large sucking noise, the car would hardly run and another light came on (orange looks like an engine) which the garage had to turn off.
It turns out the gas fitter had drilled a hole in the wrong place and plugged it with silicon :o :o :o , which with pressure got sucked off.
Not very happy so took it back, and the guy is paying to have the housing replaced,
I hope this will solve all the problems, I have resealed the hole temporarily but its still not right, my mechanic thinks its all down to the conversion, as I have owned the car from new with out any problems, so it would be a coincidence if it had a problem now :?: :?:

After that long rant, what I would like to know. Could you advice me of an independent agent in the South Wales are, where I could get this conversion checked.
As my confidence in it is understandably undermined.

I have not named the installer for legal reasons, and he’s a nice bloke

tucker

Re: Poor quality insulation

Post by tucker » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:37 am

He's a nice bloke...................................................who's got your money!

Give me £1500 and I am nice too :shock:

I hope you get it sorted as it sounds it bit of a botch up job and well worth checking over by someone else. Was the person LPGA approved?

Any idea what system was installed etc.....?

topbanana0

Post by topbanana0 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:24 am

Hi I believe he is LPGA approved, I got an ‘Approved installer scheme LPG conversion certificate’ although I see he’s left the place for his LPGA No blank?
I was told it’s a Romano system. But my invoice says ‘Sequential gas conversion, the tank is 42L Stako, regulator A.E.B

topbanana0

Post by topbanana0 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:39 am

Just a bit of an update to what is turning out to be one of the most botched jobs ive ever see.
I thought I would take a look at the car over the weekend to see if I could get it to run better, before I take it back to the buffoon (sorry was I thinking out aloud)
So a friend (a Renault mechanic) and I removed the Intake housing (remember the bit ‘bright spark’ drilled).
Apart from cutting corners by widening gaps between the inlet manifold with a drill bit (his favourite tool by the look of things) because he couldn’t fit a socket between the gap. His best c**k up we saved until last, turns out he snapped off the map sensor (used to read manifold pressure) and guess what he GLUED it back together, and just to make sure his handy work would last the test of time rubbed some grease around it to make it air tight.
WTF, im not sure anyone could f**k something up that bad unless you were trying?

Just wondering where I stand legally, as I don’t want this arse hole to touch my car again. Should I speak to him or go straight to a solicitor?

runningoldcars

Post by runningoldcars » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:17 am

I have nothing constructive to add, save to say that likely explains your very bad fuel consumption.

A leaky MAP will throw the ECU's lookup tables out - with atmospheric P in the manifold the car will read it as if it's being pressure charged or the ECU may not cope at all and overfuel.

My considered viewpoint is this - crack skulls.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
RunningOldCars

Honda Accord Coupe, 2.0l, 4spd automatic, Aldesa RSI+ lpg kit, Steely Dan's 'Katy Lied' on stereo.

mak-uk
LPG System: Prins VSI
Car: BMW 540iA Sport

Post by mak-uk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:47 pm

You can try the LPGA 'complaints procedure'.. give Mike Champman a call (say you came from this site). I never had much luck with this though! However, I believe it involves an independent LPGA inspection to which you have to invite the original installer. He then has to put everything right.

If the above doesn't work, get on to your local Trading Standards but do it well before 3 months into the installation. Trading Standards won't get involved if you get legal help (solicitor).. so do that after if you get no where with them. Lots about this on the main site.
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system