Help ... (bmw 316i)

The main forum
kote_alex
LPG System: TOMASETTO on BMW 316

Help ... (bmw 316i)

Post by kote_alex » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:31 am

I've got some questions that need answers...

1. My lpg instalations switches automaticaly to lpg on start only when the engine water reaches a preset temperature... because it needs to warm up the lpg before it enters in the combustion chamber. That's ok ... the only deal is that if I use the car less then when it's cold outside it burn petrol to... instead of lgp ... so in particulary in winter I will be using more petrol than in the summer...
-- The question.. should I remap the ecu so it switches to lpg sooner than the preset temperature? will I do some damage to the engine or the instalation if the lpg enters colder in the engine?

2. My oxigen sensor (or lamda probe) from the exaust it's a bit lazy... does it influence my MPG?

10x !

runningoldcars

Re: Help ... (bmw 316i)

Post by runningoldcars » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:37 pm

1. The big answer is that if there is not enough heat in the engine coolant then there will not be enough to vapourise the lpg properly, or at all, and so your car will stall and kangaroo for a while. This means you will run lean, and this is not good.

The short answer is 'Live with it'.

The environmentally friendly answer is ' if it's that short a journey, use a bike and get some exercise'

2. If the sensor is lazy then yes it will affect the transient response of the injectors (petrol and lpg), and this means you will have longer periods of rich burn and lean burn.
Rich uses more fuel and poisons your catalytic converter, lean potentially burns valves (which at £7 each are cheap, but the removal of the head, timing belt and gaskets is the pricey bit).
Neither is good.

Probes are about £35 as replacement aftermarket parts, but require a good socket or a special removal tool unless you want to be fighting it off. Under your car. In winter.

Use a torch to heat the area up, of better yet, take it off with the engine still hot from a run.
Note: Don't leave the engine running whilst you remove it. It will hurt. It will also make fitting the new one hard........
____________________________________________________________________________________________
RunningOldCars

Honda Accord Coupe, 2.0l, 4spd automatic, Aldesa RSI+ lpg kit, Steely Dan's 'Katy Lied' on stereo.

ian
LPG System: Tartarini Etagas

Post by ian » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:55 pm

I visited an installer to investigate a running issue for me. He suggested a temperature of 30 degrees for changeover. On my car this works out at about 0.5 miles at the moment. He said changing over sooner would cause premature wear on the diaphragms in the vaporiser.

Lambda's are meant to be have a life of about 60k miles.

kote_alex
LPG System: TOMASETTO on BMW 316

Post by kote_alex » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks for your advice... I'll try to use the bicicle more often :))