Fitting LPG to 528i

The main forum
alex528i
LPG System: not yet

Fitting LPG to 528i

Post by alex528i » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi Gents
New to forum but have DIY'd LPG systems on Merc230e, Frontera, 3.5 Shogun. I have just purchased a 1997 BMW 528i and was intending to fit the kit removed from Shogun, all previuos installations were single point & some closed loop and was intending the same for BM, however, whilst changing oil and filter today I noticed that inlet manifold appears to be plastic ??!! or is it coated with something which appears to be plastic ?
Presumably if manifold is plastic I won't be able to fit single point due to danger of backfire destroying manifold, or will a backfire protection valve make it feasable.
If it is necessary to fit multi injection system to vehicle can anyone suggest a supplier of the extra bits needed ( I already have tank, multivalve,solenoid valves, changeover switch, BRC AT90E vaporizer etc ) as most of the suppliers so far approached are only quoting for full kit or not at all.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Johnboy

Re: Fitting LPG to 528i

Post by Johnboy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:29 pm

It's not advisable to fit a single point system to a car with modern fuel injection and a plastic inlet manifold, for reasons that you've already stated.
BUT BMWs tend to use good quality plastics, so the decision is yours. I run a BMW 540 (with plastic manifold) on LPG via a single point system, it has backfired a few times, when the system was initially setup badly, but now that it's running well, I get no backfires.
Your tank and multivalve can be used with most LPG systems, but the vapourisers are different on single point systems.
You need a complete front end kit, if you decide to go multi-point.
Just 'do a google' for LPG kits, to find the cheapest, but the cheapest is only a bargain if it has aftermarket backup for spares and setting up help.
Good luck

Ahmad
LPG System: for Diesel

Post by Ahmad » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:11 pm

You can try Tinley Tech in England where I ordered my individual parts 2 months a go. Tel: 4419 5471 9002
Good luck..Ahmad

alex528i
LPG System: not yet

Post by alex528i » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks Guys,
It has since been explained to me that multipoint vaporizers(reducers) are different to single point vaporizers so complete front end will be required. I don't think I want to risk the plastic manifold with a single point system so guess it's spend time again !
Have looked at various suppliers on the web and prices vary greatly, does anyone have experience of the AGIS system or King system from 4-TECH, they seem to be a reasonable price although they quote a substantial extra cost for mapping kit !
Have also looked at Vogas from WTV, anyone have experience of this one.