Query, which engine better for LPG Conversion 4.2 or 5.0 SC Range Rover?

The main forum
BigDave1980
LPG System: LPGTech
Car: Elgrand

Query, which engine better for LPG Conversion 4.2 or 5.0 SC Range Rover?

Post by BigDave1980 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi All,

I have been running a Nissan Elgrand with an LPG conversion and after enjoying the petrol engine and the saving s with LPG I think this time around i would like a petrol Range Rover Vogue!

Does anyone have any knowledge of LPG and which engine is better to convert? The 4.2 Supercharged or the 5.0 Supercharged?

I have had contrasting views from 2 LPG installers,

First one said that the 5.0 is the better engine for LPG as the 4.2 suffers from worn valves etc when converted. The second totally disagreed and said that the 4.2 was better and as long as you had electronic lubricator fitted the worn valves wouldn't happen. He never said that the 5.0 was worse but with it being direct injection and the fact only 1 company does a kit for it he would recommend an LPG system on the 4.2.

I have a Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8 and wouldn't convert that to LPG but the Vogue will be a daily runner and although a petrol would be my 1st choice if I can't get some good advice from the guys in the know on this forum then it'll be back to the decision of 3.6 or 4.4 diesel!!

So if you can help I'd love to hear from anyone with a conversion done on either a 4.2 Supercharged or 5.0 Supercharged or has converted either of these engines and Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Lpgc
LPG System: I'm an installer!
Car: All-Vehicles

Re: Query, which engine better for LPG Conversion 4.2 or 5.0 SC Range Rover?

Post by Lpgc » Thu May 24, 2018 10:06 am

The second installer was the most correct.

Only Prins make a system for the 5.0 supercharged Rangerover engine, only a few installers (not many of the Prins installers) can fit that system, it's expensive, there's little feedback from people who have had them done, the most knowledgeable people about the Prins Rangerove 5.0 conversion system/parts/fitting process are the Dutch Prins developers, the guys fitting the system are pretty much just bolting the system on.

I've converted dozens of 4.2 supercharged L322 Rangerovers, the most recent for a guy who designs fuel systems for jet engines, he said he really researched which installer to use to convert his 4.2 supercharged and decided to use me. The engines do suffer from VSR but this can be prevented by fitting an electronic forced lube system, fitting appropriate components and accurately mapping the system... no engine warning lights!

Simon