Is VW FSI engine convertable?

The main forum
frendospur
LPG System: factory fit
Car: vectra

Is VW FSI engine convertable?

Post by frendospur » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi I would apprieciate some help I am considering buying an 56 plate vw passat 2.0 but am getting mixed info from approved lpg installers one saying that FSI engine can not be converted and another saying it can but would require flashlube I guess it may be that each installer supplies different systems ie landi only and the other BRC/Landi/AG/Tartarini.

Thanks

mak-uk
LPG System: Prins VSI
Car: BMW 540iA Sport

Re: Is VW FSI engine convertable?

Post by mak-uk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi

FSI is direct injection isn't it? If that's the case, it CANNOT be converted by the main LPG systems to the best of my knowledge.
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system

frendospur

Post by frendospur » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:21 am

Hi

Thanks for your reply, yes the FSI is direct injection I am now looking for an alternative car to convert. Is there a definative list somewhere on which vehicles are and are not suitable as I am a little cynical about taking installers word, clearly they will always want buisness or should I be more trusting?

Cheers

mak-uk

Post by mak-uk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi

It seems silly that Installers would say a car can be converted when it can't but I suppose there are some cowboys out there.

As a general rule, all direct injection engines cannot be converted presently. Any engines with soft valve seats (a lot of Fords, some Vauxhalls and a lot of Japanese cars) can be converted but suffer from valve seat recession. To combat this, most installers fit 'Flashlube' which may delay the on-set of VSR.

Hope that helps.
Mak
Site Owner

capcarap
LPG System: stag 300
Car: Fiat marea

Post by capcarap » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi
I'm from Croatia and here is possible to install LPG into FSI engine I can send you link to see. Unfortunately it is on croatian.Try to find garage which installing Tartarini system. it run smoothly :lol:

woody
LPG System: Prins only
Car: skoda octavia VRS on

Post by woody » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 pm

this just goes to show that all the "installers" you have spoken to dont know what they are talking about.
There are a few select FSI models primarily the VAG group engines that CAN be converted, check with BRC Uk 01758 740100 to check the model you are thinking of doing, and your nearest installer.

Do not be fooled by "split fueling " offered by some of the lesser systems , it dont work.

One thing to consider is that you will use approx 1 litre of petrol for every 100km travelled , so the savings are slightly less.

HTH Woody

capcarap

Post by capcarap » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi
Yes because FSI is VAG engine.Take a look. I also check Croatian LPG forum and does not consume petrol more then regular engines-only for starting until switch on Gas

http://www.zamateh.hr/fotos/audi_%20a4_ ... index.html

mak-uk

Post by mak-uk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:22 pm

That looks interesting! I wonder if that is a kit specifically developed by Prins for that FSI engine or if it will work on FSI engines in general?
Mak
Site Owner

capcarap

Post by capcarap » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi
gas installations are made for general usage and this system is developed for FSI and JTS.In case of installation in FSI engine during gas consumption system spit small amount of gasoline to cool down valves and gasoline injectors.In JTS engines (Alfa) BRC system does not do this and everything is fine .Really do not know why.The main problem during installation of this system is that you have to bore engine head to mount LPG injectors and if you have 16 v engine (you have) need to find space for that.
regards
Capcarap

frendospur

Post by frendospur » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks for all your helpful posts I've decided not to go for this car now looking at merc C180 Kompressor which I've told is convertable hope no says otherwise.

Cheers