BMW 540i Conversion in the North West

The main forum
Richteo
LPG System: TBC
Car: BMW 540i

BMW 540i Conversion in the North West

Post by Richteo » Sat May 08, 2010 8:38 am

Hi all. I purchased a 1999 BMW 540i in January and I'm really enjoying it. I aim to keep it for a good few years and as I do roughly 18,000 miles a year so I'm investigating the possibility of an LPG conversion.

So far I've done a lot of reading and had two online quotes from recommended installers; Autogas 99 in Warrington/Widnes and Flintshire Autogas Services.

Autogas 99 are proposing a Romano system installed for £1675.
Flintshire are quoting £2115 for a BRC system fully fitted.

I've had a look on both Romano and BRC's websites for technical information and as long as the BRC reducer is the Zenith model and the injectors are specified appropriately I will have a system capable of delivering the full 286 bhp (210 kW. 26.25 kW/cylinder).

I've struggled to get information from either Romano or Autogas 99 about flow rates and whether the system will be adequate without having to rely on split fuelling in some instances - this is something I'm keen to avoid. Autogas 99 refer to it as the "Romano RISN H/D" but I can't find much reference to it on the internet. Does anyone have any experience using this system?

The Romano conversion is obviously more attractive from a price perspective but I'd prefer a better system long-term.

Can anyone recommend alternative installers that use either the BRC or Prins systems in the North West?

Thanks,
Rich

mak-uk
LPG System: Prins VSI
Car: BMW 540iA Sport

Re: BMW 540i Conversion in the North West

Post by mak-uk » Sat May 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Rich,

Don't know if it's in the right area for you but F1 Automotive in Bolton has a good reputation from what I hear (do a web search for their website).

As for what systems I'd only recommend Prins VSI or BRC Sequent 56. That's not to say that others might not work but these two have been proven to be the most reliable for large engines based on subjective feedback from around Europe.
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system

Richteo
LPG System: TBC
Car: BMW 540i

Post by Richteo » Sun May 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll contact F1 Automotice this week to get a firm price and confirm the system they will use.

shaunwil

Post by shaunwil » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:36 pm

There is also Leyland LPG. John was very helpful when he certified my setup on my 1st gen Rx7 13b Rotary. He would probably do an E-gas setup, http://leylandlpg.co.uk/index.html .The setup on the 1st gen was not off the shelf stuff and I did a lot of research to build the system myself because its LPG only and carb based.

Went to chat to F1 Automotive about doing my 3rd gen Rx7. Seemed very arrogant about discussing it, however I was wanting to do the majority of the work and only buy parts off him (he is the only Prins Dealer in the area). I would say he has a very tidy setup and looked extremely professional but for me he was just plain rude. For a standard drive in conversion he would probably be very professional.

Shaun