NGK BKR6EIX or NGK BKR6EIX-LPG

The main forum
whitetop
LPG System: Romano
Car: BMW 525i Sport Auto

NGK BKR6EIX or NGK BKR6EIX-LPG

Post by whitetop » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:39 am

Hi all....

Currently have BKR6EIX fitted to my 2001 BMW 525i (M54). Fitted for about 35k miles.

Over the last week or so I have had a very noticable mis-fire while running on gas. It feels like it is running on 5 cyls. I am also getting a EML warning on gas. It is so bad, that I cannot use the gas. :(

On switching back to petrol, it still runs rough and I have to switch off and then restart to get smooth running again. The EML will then go off.

There seems to be an almost undetectable mis-fire on petrol on normal running...particulary when just on the throttle. Heavy throttle seems to be fine.

I am going to go back to the LPG installer next week for a service and check-up, but thought that I would change the plugs anyway.......35k on the current set is pretty good, I reckon.

The NGK guy phoned me today and suggested the LPG version of the plugs.

Anyone tried them......any advantage to be gained.

Cheers........

mak-uk
LPG System: Prins VSI
Car: BMW 540iA Sport

Re: NGK BKR6EIX or NGK BKR6EIX-LPG

Post by mak-uk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi

As far as I am aware, there is no actual difference in the plugs - I was under the impression that the LPG ones are iridium too but branded 'LPG'.. maybe a different gap or something.

Maybe contact NGK UK direct for clarification?
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system

whitetop

Post by whitetop » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:23 pm

Cheers Mak

I was thinking pretty much the same as you, that they were the same.

Phoned NGK and they tell me that basically they are very similar but the LPG plugs have a stronger core to give a better spark to ignite LPG. They also have a more heavy duty insulation around the cetral electrode.

He aslo told me that they have another LPG plug called the LPG-1 (NGK Part 1496.....MSSP £19 + Vat + Del).....

I ordered the BKR6EIX-LPG type for about £10 each delivered....(NGK Part 3356.....MSSP £14 +VAT + Del)...

Not cheap, but I will make it up in no time when back on LPG.........

Cheers...

whitetop

Post by whitetop » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Fitted the LPG version of the plug and car is running perfectly.

The plugs that came out were normal looking as regards burn issues....light brownish......

The only things I noticed was that they had a little more carbon buld up around the centre insulaton than I would have expected and the iridium centre was fiarly well worn. I measured the gap and it was approx 40 thou on each plug.....they come gapped at 32 thou, IIRC....

Basically the pinpiont tip had worn with just the main centre part left......

Not sure if the LPG version is worth the extra couple of quid, but I'm now back on "the cheap stuff", so more than happy...... :D

Just a pity that the MOT picked up 2 cracked rear coil springs to spoil my week..... :|

candhdyas
LPG System: AFC
Car: Merc E240 V6 2001

Post by candhdyas » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:42 am

Have exactly the same problem with my V6 Merc. Glad you found the answer. I'll follow your example - thats the power of the forum.
:)

whitetop

Post by whitetop » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:06 am

candhdyas wrote:Have exactly the same problem with my V6 Merc. Glad you found the answer. I'll follow your example - thats the power of the forum.
:)
Hope this sorts your problem....... ;)

jag-1978

Post by jag-1978 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 am

I’m currently experiencing some misfire issues (1997, BMW 523i SE Auto), and I’m almost certain it’s my plugs. I’ve had the misfire some months but thought I’d check out the sparkplugs this weekend. I noticed that certain plugs were quire loose inside the cylinder… I know for a fact that I had tightened them quite well when putting them in. I’m currently using NGK Iridiums. Before putting them in I noticed that the standard Bosch ones that came out were also quite loose… I’m sure this explains the misfiring. It’s been a few days now and the car has started misfiring again… I wonder if the plugs have come slightly loose again!

Regards

Jag

whitetop

Post by whitetop » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi Jag

I also noticed that the plugs that came out were "loose", so to speak.

Think I might check after a couple of thousand miles, to check tightness.

That said, better a loose plug than a siezed / really tight one...........

jag-1978

Post by jag-1978 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 am

Thinking of moving back to standard copper core plugs... Only problem is that I can't find a standard NGK or Bosch plug with a single electrode. I beleive the NGK ones are 2 and the Bosch 4!!! Not sure how well that will work!! Also beleive the gap can be adjusted

Jag

whitetop

Post by whitetop » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:21 am

The Mis-fire returned a couple of weeks ago........traced it down to a couple of coil packs gone south.......

While trying to diagnose the problem, I fitted a set of BOSCH Super 4's...........what a crap plug..........

Mis-fired like a three legged horse in reverse.

Going back to NGK BKR6EIX................I know it makes sense......