Advice on viewing a car with LPG...

The main forum
Robert80
LPG System: None..
Car: CRX

Advice on viewing a car with LPG...

Post by Robert80 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Hello everyone,

Recently I've become interested in buying a car with LPG, mainly so I can get a car with a bigger engine and keep running costs down!

I've found one that has had LPG for over 70,000 miles which makes me think it should be OK (Total of just over 100k). It's a Jaguar with a BRC system fitted. However the ad says it's been a year since the LPG has been serviced. So apart from the usual issues a car of this mileage can have I'm a little worried about the LPG side of things also.

I've been reading about LPG, and the term "cowboys" keeps popping up, infact I found this website from trying to find if Go-lpg were any good having found they had a few Jaguars for sale (Now feel very lucky to know the truth).

I'm fairly confident the system should be OK since it's been on it for a long time, however who do I turn to for a inspection of a LPG when viewing a car (Kinda like an AA inspection but for the LPG system), or is this something I could do myself with a check list?

Another quick question, I'm thinking a 12 mile commute would be a good distance for a car to get warm enough to switch to LPG?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

whitetop
LPG System: Romano
Car: BMW 525i Sport Auto

Re: Advice on viewing a car with LPG...

Post by whitetop » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Robert80 wrote:Hello everyone,

Recently I've become interested in buying a car with LPG, mainly so I can get a car with a bigger engine and keep running costs down!

I've found one that has had LPG for over 70,000 miles which makes me think it should be OK (Total of just over 100k). It's a Jaguar with a BRC system fitted. However the ad says it's been a year since the LPG has been serviced. So apart from the usual issues a car of this mileage can have I'm a little worried about the LPG side of things also.

I've been reading about LPG, and the term "cowboys" keeps popping up, infact I found this website from trying to find if Go-lpg were any good having found they had a few Jaguars for sale (Now feel very lucky to know the truth).

I'm fairly confident the system should be OK since it's been on it for a long time, however who do I turn to for a inspection of a LPG when viewing a car (Kinda like an AA inspection but for the LPG system), or is this something I could do myself with a check list?

Another quick question, I'm thinking a 12 mile commute would be a good distance for a car to get warm enough to switch to LPG?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
The first things I would do is insist that the LPG system is fully serviced.......and make sure that your current insurance company are happy with LPG.....not all are....

What part of the country are you in........some people on here might be able to advise on LPG servicing in your area.....

When was the last time that petrol side had a service and is it running OK.....LPG will show up any faults that the petrol side has......but a lot bigger. The ignition system is very important for LPG.....

12 miles is a smallish journey, but as soon as car reaches a pre-set temp, it will change to gas...That said, I do a 17 mile journey to work and probably do gas on about 15 of those miles...I have a BMW E39 525i Auto and they are known for a quick heat-up....not sure about Jags........

What sort of annual mileage do you do.......

Any link to sale.....

Robert80
LPG System: None..
Car: CRX

Post by Robert80 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks for the reply whitetop.

The car had a normal service 3,500 miles back. I've checked with my insurer and it only adds £30 to my policy having LPG fitted to this car.

I'm based in Worcestershire, but the car is in Leicestershire. I guess on average I do around 10,000 miles, which I understand is low but I do plan on keeping the car for a while. I do some long journeys every month so it would be handy for sure.

The car is on eBay, so no hope of getting it serviced before, it's pretty much the exact spec I'm after though (Manual 3.0 V6).

One thing that worries a little is the last LPG service was at Prestige LPG, which I've seen a rather negative post about on this forum.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

whitetop
LPG System: Romano
Car: BMW 525i Sport Auto

Post by whitetop » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:58 am

Robert80 wrote:Thanks for the reply whitetop.

The car had a normal service 3,500 miles back. I've checked with my insurer and it only adds £30 to my policy having LPG fitted to this car.

I'm based in Worcestershire, but the car is in Leicestershire. I guess on average I do around 10,000 miles, which I understand is low but I do plan on keeping the car for a while. I do some long journeys every month so it would be handy for sure.

The car is on eBay, so no hope of getting it serviced before, it's pretty much the exact spec I'm after though (Manual 3.0 V6).

One thing that worries a little is the last LPG service was at Prestige LPG, which I've seen a rather negative post about on this forum.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Checked the link......nice car....

Although I am not familiar with the Jag, the LPG install looks neat and tidy.......I take this as a sign that the install was done carefully and not just hashed.........(read MAK's original post to see what I mean.)

My Install............. Image .....paid a little more for a neat fit

It's done 17k since last LPG service, so might be worth getting it done if you buy..........maybe £100....(I pay £80 + Vat).

Your annual mileage of 10k is lowish if you were getting a system fitted and trying to recover costs.......@ 2k for fitting you would take about 3 years, 4 months to break even.

Ballpark speaking......I reckon you will save roughly £600 a year ( £50 a month :D ) on your fuel bill, as you will be saving from day one....( based this on 25mpg on U/L @ £1.10 / lt VS 20mpg on LPG @ 0.60p / lt ).....the system is already fitted, so you don't have to worry about the break even point......

If in any doubt, might it be worth a day trip to see car......given it has the spec you want.......I don't know the area's so sorry if distance is light years...... :oops:

At least that way you can see and hear the car running and also take a test drive.......it's a lot of money to buy unseen.......

Good Luck either way....... ;)