Help please for new member!

The main forum
lentonimp
LPG System: None
Car: Audi 100

Help please for new member!

Postby lentonimp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Hello,

Thanks for a very informative Forum first of all! I am a new member with much Classic Car experience (fun!!??) wanting to convert an older Audi. The reason for converting may seem unusual, but I have an excellent condition and well maintained vehicle which has a (v.slight) pin hole in the fuel tank due to age. Big problem being that a new tank is no longer available for this model (Audi 100 Avant Quattro, 1987). Have always been interested in LPG so maybe this is the opportunity to preserve its life - and of course save on petrol costs too!!

Could anyone kindly look back in time and advise the suitability of converting an older car (engine condition is v. good)? It is the 5 cylinder 2.2 litre engine with Bosch K Jetronic (mechanical) injection? Your help much appreciated with any pros & cons and of course assuming I can find a kit still available. I realise that many will say the outlay is too great, but as I said the car really is worth saving.

Best wishes

Nigel

mak-uk
LPG System: Prins VSI
Car: BMW 540iA Sport

Re: Help please for new member!

Postby mak-uk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Nigel and Welcome!

Firstly, surely the fuel tank can be repaired or you could source a second hand one? Some LPG systems do not allow you to run solely on LPG, some don't start well on LPG and if there is no petrol in the tank, some fuel pumps can burn out.

As regards to the LPG installation, if you want to keep the car then it's a good investment in the LONG term. I''m sure this vehicle can be converted relatively easily - why not ring around a few installers to get system details and assocated prices to see what ballpark you're aiming for?

Let us know how it goes.
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system

lentonimp
LPG System: None
Car: Audi 100

Postby lentonimp » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi Mak,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I will certainly contact some LPg firms and keep you informed. By the way, the existing tank is fine with about 1 gallon in it(and passes its MOT !!) but anymore and you smell the fumes so I still have the option (at present) of keeping it in place. Secondhand items are usually in as bad condition as mine, and its not a simple job to dismantle as the rear suspension & driveshafts have to be removed first. I have previously broken a 100 Quattro for spares, so still have the bruises & grazes to prove!!

Probably a v.silly question, but does an LPG converted car (no catalyst) give a noticable smell of gas out of its exhaust? We carry a dog in the back and occasionally someone who has issues with chemical allergies, exhaust fumes, etc.

Best wishes

Nigel

mak-uk
LPG System: Prins VSI
Car: BMW 540iA Sport

Postby mak-uk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi Nigel,

I am not sure about a non-CAT car but certainly on a CAT car there is no gas smell out of the rear... just standard fumes.

Regards.

Mak
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system

Return to “General Discussion”