Prins vaporiser issue

The main forum
eastgt4
LPG System: Prins VSI
Car: BMW 540i

Prins vaporiser issue

Post by eastgt4 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:49 am

Hello all,
I am looking for some assistance or information.
I am running a '99 plate BMW 540i, with a Prins VSI system. The system was on the car when I bought it last year, and was running ok until recently.
I have just had to have some work done, it looked like the head gasket had blown...ouch, very expensive. Luckily (ish) it wasn't the head gasket, it looks like the vaporiser is at fault. It is passing gas into the cooling system, pressurising it, and giving many symptoms of head gasket failure. A google search reveals that this is a fairly common fault on older Prins systems (mine was fitted in 2005), and is not usually repairable. I am looking to remove the vaporiser & stripping to see if it can be repaired/refurbished.
If not repairable, I will be left with two choices:
Take the car to a Prins installer, they will charge about £400 to replace the vaporiser & set it up, or
Buy another vaporiser, eg Voltran VSGI, and the software off Ebay, fit it, & set it up myself. I have done some research, Prins runs at a higher pressure than most other vaporisers,the Voltran will run to 2 bar, is this enough? Cost about £150.
I know that the right answer is my first choice, but I have just spent nearly £700 fixing the cooling issue & putting the car through MOT.

What are your opinions?

Darryl
South Wales

mak-uk
Car: BMW 540iA Sport

Re: Prins vaporiser issue

Post by mak-uk » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi Darryl,

I am not sure how much new Prins vap costs but why can't you just get an authorised Prins fitter to rebuild it for you?

I don't think you will be able to use another make vapouriser.
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system

woody
LPG System: Prins only
Car: skoda octavia VRS on

Post by woody » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Dont waste your money and time trying to fit a inferior vaporiser it wont give the same results.
The older style vaporisers are rebuildable as long as the rear casing has,nt coroded away,if it has buy the new type.
Ring Prins uk for your local installer.It has,nt done bad for 7 years old though.

Cheers woody

eastgt4

Post by eastgt4 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Hello,
thanks for the replies., I have done a bit more work now:
the vaporiser has been removed & stripped. The diaphragms were split, & the back plate was worn.
Prins wanted £250 for a new vaporiser!! I gave it to my local fab shop, they manufactured a stainless steel back plate to the original spec.
I then bought a refurb kit from *bay, and fitted it.
The vaporiser is now back on the car, but I am struggling to get it to change over & run. My next step is to connect up to a laptop & check for obvious problems (eg temp sensor faulty), if that doesn't work, I will have to take it to a Prins agent to sort out. My nearest one is 1 to 1.5 hours away!

Thanks again,

Darrrl

mak-uk
Car: BMW 540iA Sport

Post by mak-uk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 am

How did this go?
Mak
Site Owner
2001 BMW 540i Auto Sport Saloon
~300 BHP; ~320 ft/lbs, Prins VSI system

eastgt4

Post by eastgt4 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 am

hi again,
the gas situation is pretty much sorted, car is now switching & running pretty well. it is a little 'laggy' at the moment, so i am looking to borrow a laptop & check out the settings, the gas pressure may need adjusting. if that fails, my local lpg fitter has said that he will look at it for me if i can get the software, but he is off work for a couple of months!
judt goes to show that you shouldn't always believe what they tell you...Prins wanted £400+ for what i've done myself.

Darryl