BMW 320ci burns oil on lpg

The main forum
staggr
LPG System: omvl dream
Car: bmw 320ci

BMW 320ci burns oil on lpg

Post by staggr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Can anyone please help. I have a BMW320 ci 2.2. It runs perfect on petrol and gas but when running on gas it smokes under load and is using 1 litre of oil every 300 miles. I have replaced the pcv valve but this has not rectified the issue. The system is omvl dream and has been calibrated and is showing to be perfectly set up. The engine does not use oil or smoke when running on petrol. I am in Retford Notts if anyone is able to assist.

tubbs
LPG System: singlepoint
Car: v6 3.5 shogun

Re: BMW 320ci burns oil on lpg

Post by tubbs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi , now that's a strange one that's got me thinking. Firstly are you completely sure it doesn't use oil when on petrol ? It doesn't make much sense. So you have to be very sure to be able to find the fault. Having installed loads of Italian LPG systems the only thing I can think of is that someone has mistaken vaccum for an engine breather and the vaccum is pulling oil from the breather ? But surely it would show oil in the pipe or at least some residue of if around the map sensor. Has it always been like this or have you only just noticed. Or has it only just started happening ?
So have a look at the thin pipes going into the map sensor and where vac is being taken from.

staggr

Post by staggr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:50 pm

I have only just bought the car so I am unsure of its history

tubbs

Post by tubbs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Ok well the only thing I can suggest is to run it on petrol to completely make sure it's not burning any oil. Somethings very wrong there and I suggest you get someone to have a look at it. If you want to bring it over to me I don't mind having a look at it. Just click on my signature for contact details. It may be worth trying to find someone closer especially as you would have to bring it over on petrol ! The only thing I can think it would be is vaccum being connected to a breather. Mind they are covered in hoses, I would say it's easily done but I've never managed it. It's not something I could easily diagnose over a forum I'm afraid. Good luck.

staggr

Post by staggr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:35 am

Thanks for the help. I hope it can be sorted because I really like the car. I have covered 400 smoke free miles on petrol and not used a drop of oil. When switching back to gas the smoke is back and oil usage is back to 1ltr per 300 miles.

tubbs

Post by tubbs » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:53 am

I would say it can be sorted mate, if the engine runs well on petrol its got to be something to do with the gas set up ? just call me sherlock holmes !!
As i said its not something that isn't probably solvable over a couple of forum posts unfortunately. The only thing i can think of is what ive said, well thats where i would be looking at first if the car was presented to me with the faults you have described.

staggr

Post by staggr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Another thing to mention is after being set up correctly on LPG it still pinks under load when engine gets warm